
So, for those of you know that don't know: I had surgery on Thursday.
Some of you already know the history and some don't. It's not something that I really want to get into details about, but since June there has been a possibility that the lesion on my face, that I have had since I was 5, was a basal cell carcinoma. Or, skin cancer.
Whats weird is that skin cancer in a 22 year old is rare.
In a 5 year old? Unlikely. And for 17 years? Yeah, right. Which is why its been a possibility. My dermatologist didn't think so, even the first pathologist picked and alternate diagnosis of trichoepithelioma, a rare skin disorder, but non sinister.
Regardless, it was decided it needed to be removed. Sinister or not, because they couldn't deny the potential dangers. But, I was referred to a plastic surgeon, rather than the dermatologist.
Long story short, I ended up having to have surgery, in the OR, rather than the general clinic. It went well, and now I'm cancer free.
Now, lets be real: its a basal cell carcinoma. I'm not a "survivor" or a cancer "victim". I had a lesion for 17 years, lets face it, I could have had it 17 more and not been affected, other than its growing circumference. If you're going to get cancer, you're going to want a basal cell carcinoma to be the diagnosis. (It was confirmed post surgery by the second pathologist that it was definitely cancerous, but they're doing a 3rd sample just incase)
22 stitches and a black eye later I'm feeling fine, other than people staring at my face all the time.
Nickie out.

2 comments:
It's definitely looking better than it was the other day. It's not still bleeding when you laugh is it...? :x
Glad everything turned out okay and that you got it checked out. Better to do something about it now before it got worse.
The incision is closed now, so no bleeding. It's still delicate, so I need to be careful with it.
It looks better every day - less black eye, and the redness goes down. It's hard to see from a distance now.
Post a Comment